View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Practicing Proper Catch and Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Really good stuff mikel... I once read that a healthy trout, ready for release will almost always appear to be looking down... and a stressed fish will have eyes that are "centered" and glazed... ever heard of this?

Anyway, here's an interesting CPR story (catch-photo-release)... this is Earl the Doorman, long story, but my friends and I caught and released him three times over three seasons. He always took the same spot in the pool (hovering ghost-like in front of an old shed door lodged against the bank).

Click the image to open in full size.

Other than the obvious, we know for a fact that it was the same fish because we were probably not the FIRST ones to tangle with and release Earl... check out the mangled (but healed) left lip on this close-up.

Click the image to open in full size.

A sudden drop in water levels due to a faulty water exchange pump left Earl to die in a puddle sadly the fall after we last saw him. Tough ending for a great warrior... but a good C&R example up to that point.
That's a neat remembrance Joe,

I had a longtime friend like that, that I paid a visit to each year back east. A brown trout that lived in a most inaccessible spot. I caught him once each season while he grew into a fine specimen. I left my mountain stream behind in 2004 and like to think he may either have died of old age or is still under that log.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;