View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 PM

silvertip8k has a spectacular aura aboutsilvertip8k has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

this thread has been going for a while...and I just cant resist to thrown in my 2 cents...

I will say after working in fly shop's for over 30 years, I learned an awful lot about this topic...not opinion...fact...the dirty little secret in the fly fishing industry...even with internet sales...

I will only speak of two tod lines here...both I have a lot of experience with...and they both are also the price points mentioned at the outset of this thread...

TFO produces an excellent rod...and a good one can be had for 150-180 bucks...the Lefty Kreh "Pro series" is a great rod...I have several and use them for lessons etc...also as back up rods guiding.and have caught some really nice fish with them...also their warranty is second to none...

retail is generally almost double of retail...ie...a 150 retail unit generally sells to a dealer for 75-85$...allowing the shop to "keystone" the cost...the term used for doubling the cost...

Sage is generally a shop item, or at least used to be...now is sold on all the better internet sales outlets too, Cabelas etc...an outstanding rod...excellent workmanship...great casters...actually my favorite "lookin" unit out there...great colors etc...

retail on a 700-800 $ sage , dealer cost is about 480$...mark up( or profit) from the sage is basically double the TFO...and has all the high end appeal...sages does a great job marketing their product...and is a status item on the stream...and to some this is extremely important...

the point here is that one sale genrates more income for a shop...and if they are geared to a "high end" clientele, it only makes sense to try andsell the best unit they can...offering quality, name brand recognition, and any prestige that goes along with it.

so is the 700 dollar rod worth it...it depends on your own personal prefernce and available disposable income...is the Sage Rod nicer to fish...maybe...but 5-600 dollars worth?? only you can answer that...

for me all the mark up is a turn off...and is why I started making my own rods a good while back...some guys want all the name brand stuff...waders, fleece, boots, vests , reels and of course rods...even the brand of flouro is a big deal...then some folks are into watching their $$...and saving their dough for gas money for trips...

if you are cruising to all the really nice spots in your range rover with all the neat rod racks on your roof...go for it...its great for the econonmy( and I know its fun too...I have been able to cruise with clients in similar)...maybe even fishing with a great guide and fishing private ranches...more than awesome...Im sure you worked extremely hard to be able to afford all that ...and also took some chances in life to attain your success!

if you are a regular "Joe" that has an old F 150...and that new TFO is a proud possesion...buy your off brand flouro...waders from ebay...and anything else you can do to "bend the curve" for yourself...and know its all realtive...who is to judge??...you!

that really nice fly shop you visit with the stone fireplace, located by the best waters, incredible fly selection...beautiful rods and reels...great advice form seasoned anglers and guides,and all the cool T'shirts...didnt get that way from selling low end gear. The luxury has its price...and is only fair...all that stuff required some serious capital investment...and a lot of work no doubt...

we all live in a "Chaste System" in life...some of us are nail bangers & electricians...some of us are lawyers and architects...and there is no reason to be ashamed of either...I have many angling friends in both...and what we spend on our personal gear is our own business...my bottom line here is this...neither end of the spectrum should be held in anything other than respect etc...just dont spend the mortgage payment on that beautiful rod...LOL...

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/

Last edited by silvertip8k; 04-04-2013 at 07:56 PM.