View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help getting set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeterson View Post
I should be getting my new rod and reel tomorrow or Saturday and was planning on making a trip to bass pro or cabelas Saturday to get line, backing, and tippit. My last reel was already set up when I bought it so I don't know much about backing, line, and all. I will be fishing for redfish, largemouth, and some speckled trout. I was looking at the rio redfish line, does anyone have any experience with this line?
Nope. I have not used that line.

Quote:
Any recommendations for backing and how do I know how much to put on the reel?
If you plan on fishing an eight weight and plan to be fishing in areas with lots of snags, get 30 pound backing. It is much better to have a leader break than your backing to fly line connection.

Quote:
And what should I do for the leader/tippit?
I'll let the redfish fishermen clue you into leader strategy. Depending on the fly size, it should be close to a bass leader.

My bass leaders are up to eight feet long tapering from 40 pound test down to 15/16 pound test. I like heavier leaders. The help turn over big flies. Also they are more durable in areas where there are more snags.

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help!
No worries, dude.

Dennis