View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

Ha, I used Maserati as an example for sure but I drive a 1995 VW Passat wagon with a manual trany...I bought it new because I liked the way it handled and assembled fly rods fit straight down the middle without bending. Fly fishing, along with family (and my wife is my frequent fishing partner) is obviously central in my life. Each rod in both my fresh and saltwater quiver is carefully selected and regularly upgraded based on comparative evaluation purely on its performance match to specific applications. There are $150 Albrights, $300 ECHO3's and Rise Levels right next to and sometimes selected over premium priced Hardy Zenith/Proaxis, Scott S4s, Loomis NRX and Sage ONE. When I pick which rods I am taking fishing, their brand, color, reel seat design, age and certainly not price point are not taken into consideration...length, line weight and performance characteristics relative to anticipated fishing conditions are the decisive factors.

Having two 5-weights in the vehicle on a particular occasion I selected the Albright EXS over the in many ways superior Sage Z-Axis because IT HAS LARGER SNAKE GUIDES and the section of river I was spending the evening on requires a lot of slack line feeding into the drift which is enhanced by the fluidity of larger guides. I would have paid EXTRA for Sage to have fitted custom sized snakes on my Z-Axis and it would have been WORTH IT.