View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it really worth it ?

and here I remember a friend freaking out when he learned that the rod I loaned him cost $80.00! He thought I was nuts spending so much for a 'fishing rod'.

I hope I'm not out of line here by saying I find it a bit... I dunno... I just can't find the word right now but to tell the world what the margins are in the fly fishing business is not right.
It's really not any business of the consumer and if they are buying the gear without remorse everyone in the supply chain wins. That's the way of the retail world and how shops of all sorts can afford to stay around and offer personalized service.
It's easy to throw numbers around once you know them and then get out of the business but it just doesn't seem right. I'm sure costs weren't so easily shared when someone was in the business trying to satisfy a need and keep food on the table.
Some things that haven't been addressed are the costs of R&D. It is far easier to reverse engineer and clone a good product than it is to come up with the original concept, design and engineering involved... not to mention the costs of trial units and the redesign of them complete with the new mandrels and techniques needed to come up with them.
The market itself will tell if the prices are worth it.