Thread: Catfish spey
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough
Default Catfish spey

Well, the weather was perfect, in the mid 60's! All of this trial and error fishing for catfish and other warm water species has finally started to pay off! Today, I landed my first catfish on the spey rod! I was taking my sage graphite 3e out to practice and ran into some fisherman, carrying out three stringers full if channel cat. I asked the fishermen what they were using. Night crawlers. So, I decided that I would use a similar pattern... It just so happened that I had a few tied up with flash yarn, in my box. I tied a red one on. First cast, I hooked into a monster which about straightened my hook. Unfortunately, I lost that one. Anxious and excited, I decided the I would bend the hook back to shape and try again. On the second cast, I landed a drum, which put up a heck of a fight! Click the image to open in full size.

A couple of casts later, I landed my first catfish on the spey!

Click the image to open in full size.

Now, for the great Missouri to warm up so that I can get out there and landed a monster on my meiser!