View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New to fly fishing and this forum

Nice start! I am a relatively new tyer but to give you an idea of what tools you need I can tell you what I used last night tying up a few flies. You have a great vise; you'll need a good thread bobbin with ceramic (not steel) thread tube. The cheaper metal bobbins will shred your thread! A threader for the bobbin, a good pair of small tip tying scissors (Straight to start; you may want curved later as well), a good pair of hackle pliers, a bodkin for applying cement (and many other uses you'll find), and a whip finishing tool of which there are three types; I prefer the Matarelli. A hair stacker may come in handy but a little secret; the fish don't care if your hairwings are even!

These are the basic tools. I wouldn't waste time or money on kits; been there done that, threw them out! Individual more expensive tools will be more useful and less hassle in the long run.

Edit; just saw noreaster's post! Sorry to duplicate.