View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM

glcaddis has a spectacular aura aboutglcaddis has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: New to fly fishing and this forum

You sound just like me 40 years ago. It has been a hobby that has saved my life more than once, but that is another story. I'd suggest two flies in each category--dry, wet, soft-hackle, nymph, and streamer. Tie each fly in two different sizes, one larger for the type and the other smaller. For example in the dry category, one in 18 and the other in 12 or 14. For the streamers, make the large one on a 8 and the small one on a 12.

As to patterns, I'd suggest a standard Adams and a Sulphur for the dries. Try a dark winged wet fly pattern and greenish one (for BWO). For the nymph use pheasant tail and hare's ear. The soft hackle would be for me a partridge and hurl and partridge and orange. The streamers have to include various colors of wooly buggers and maybe a simple buck tail like a Mickey Finn.

Good luck and tight lines.

Gene

PS--as soon as your tying skills increase, shift your dries to parachute style. I think they catch more fish than the traditional styles. If I could only fish one dry fly, it would be a parachute Adams.