View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with my roll cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbchilton View Post
I like the video, but I disagree with the meat cleaver analogy. One of the Rajeff brothers uses a wet paint brush to demonstrate. To throw water in a straight line you need to flick the brush forward. Use the same motion with your fly rod. If you bring the rod down hard at the water you will get the poor oval loop Mel talks about. Come down hard, but flick the rod forward. This advice has helped me with my roll cast.
There are many analogies that are used to give newbies an image of the cast. The hammer analogy of pounding a nail into a vertical wall suggests the hard stop. There is the apple on stick analogy that is like the bubble analogy of fly guy.

I do like the paint brush analogy best because it incorporates a flick at the stop to flick the paint off of the bristles. This flick or "micro wrist" is needed to get the rod tip out of the way of the line

There are two elements at work here. One is the hard stop and tipping down or the rod tip to get it out of the way of the following fly line. The other is the direction of the hard stop. This is one of Lefty Kreh's rules => the cast will go in the direction the rod tip is going at the stop.

What I would recommend is that the caster separate these two aspects. The hard stop determines the efficiency of energy transfer for the rod to the line. The direction of the stop determines the direction of the cast.

So work on the hard stop with the micro wrist but vary the directionality until you get a good loop going neither too much in the air or down towards the water.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...20Richards.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamberley View Post
From watching videos, I think maybe I was applying too much force too early in the cast, rather than directing it more forwards. Do you guys ever haul while roll casting? Is that a thing?
Yes, you can haul but I would not suggest a beginner do that. Put that line under the finger initially.

For you advanced casters here is an example of a haul during a dynamic roll cast. See the instruction starting at 4:41 in the video below.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 04-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.