Here's a bit more on this fly!
I had the hook picked out long while ago, but was never really good a floss bodies so i'd been putting off tying this GH version for a good few months.
I started it last sunday afternoon, and bit by bit over the week completed it.
I've got about 6-7 hours into this fly.
There has been two different underwings, and three different wings on it, which certainly accounts for a lot of the time. If it had looked right with the first wing (see below) i'd have gone with that one, but to me it was too high, a consequence of selecting tippets which were too big and trying to make them fit the hook.
The second set of tippets are what you see in the finished fly.
The second wing didnt compress properly, but was a nice height.
Thus, i decided to go with a third wing construction as you see in the finished fly. The reason it didnt compress correctly, was due to the softer goose fibers being below the stiffer florican and Golden pheasant tail fibers - in my experience, when wings are constructed with softer materials on the bottom, they tend to bow and fold, rather than compress vertically.
By constructing the wing as i've done on the finished fly, the softer fibers are interspersed with stiffer fibers, and you get a nice compression. It should be said, that the final wing construction is a very modern look. Older flies would have had blocks of color (at least in my limited experience of seeing them). If i'd wanted to keep the original wing, it would have been best to use dyed turkey, but i only had yellow, and didnt want to dye my own.
As for fishing or the wall - this one is for the wall.
heres a head on view, just for fun!