View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: "Classic" models better than "New" models?

The examples sighted are very interesting. It may be less New vs. Classic and more that Coolhand prefers the work of one great rod designer over another. I have often commented that rod "brand" is far less relevant to me than rod "designer", much like in the golden era of cane rod makers. The Don Green's Sage RPL's, LL's, etc. are very different from the XP forward work of Jerry Siem, Gary Loomis distinctly influenced Steve Rajeff but original GLX has a very different personality than current NRX and, obviously, Tom Morgan and Glenn Bracket designed much loved Winstons and that green rod company does not have a designer of note at the helm today. I like the work of Siem, Rajeff and Howard Croston at Hardy and the new lighter stronger carbon matrix technologies influence on rod design too. Surely, in saltwater, the newer designs have proven advantageous even more than in trout fishing. There is also a learning curve that makes a great GLX of a quarter century ago feel like a "comfort" rod next to the aggressiveness of NRX for example. Also fly line designs have evolved even faster then fly rods and many of the newer rods require we change our opinions about the lines we "like" relative to the lines the newest rod's cast best with.