View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread: nylon or NCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Funny this thread came back to life. Just last week I finally got to put a finish on my wraps and learned another lesson!

I used Fish Hawk tan nylon for the wraps but used Pro Wrap's version of NCP (they don't call it that, but that is what it is) for a light gray tipping at the end of each guide wrap. After the epoxy went on - no color perserver - all the tags of the NCP gray (which looks more white now) are clearly visible under the tan. A bit disappointing.

Does color perserver help keep nylon thread more opaque? Thus in the this situation help hide the tags under the main wrap? I didn't use it because I wanted the main guide wraps to go more translucent and darken the color. I wonder if using all nylon would have hidden the tags?

I was planning on posting some pictures and asking these questions, and I will do that tonight maybe.

I did feel better after looking at some $700 Loomis rods at the store yesterday and seeing all the tag ends and in their trim wraps...they were surprisingly sloppy!
Yes it does. Two coats of CP will keep nylon threads from going translucent. If you look at the decorative wraps I do they are all with Polyneon embroidery thread. It goes translucent same as Nylon when you don't use CP.