View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with my roll cast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post

First, a few words about the videos. They are excellent....... But after nearly five years, the roll cast eluded me so thoroughly that I gave up even trying to roll cast farther than about 20 feet. And then while watching the video yet one more time, I saw two things I'd never seen before.

First, I saw his hand come up to the top of his hat. And second, Mel was throwing a straight right punch at the middle of someone's chest, complete with shoulder drop. In fact, it looked an awful lot like he was throwing a tae kwon do right punch in waders and a funny hat.

I only noticed this because I stopped watching Mel cast. I watched his hand.

Peace.
It is great that you learned by OBSERVATION. It will stick with you much longer.

The roll cast can be thought of as half of a regular false cast. That is the traditional way of explaining a roll cast but for some folks it remains a mystery and it need not be. I agree with Jackster when he says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
If you have a decent overhead cast you should easily have a good roll cast. They are pretty much the same thing.

It is the basic casting stroke that Gary Borger taught me and it is the basic cast that Jason Borger recommends in his book, Nature of Flycasting.

Here's Jason demonstrating the start and stop points of the "foundation cast".

Click the image to open in full size.

Examine the series of photos and illustrations in the casting blog by Gary Borger below.

Gary Borger Blog Archive Casting From the Shoulder

Note that the casting stroke drawing of Gary Borger and the stop motion photo below are very similar in their starting and stopping position.

In this high speed stop motion study, we see the actual bending of the rod and the stroke path of the hand, elbow, and shoulder. This compact overhead stroke is the foundation stroke that the FFF suggests as a beginning stroke. It is the same stroke that forms the basis for the teaching and casting of Mel Krieger, Gary and Jason Borger. You can see the similarities of this stroke, the foundation stroke, and the roll cast stroke.

The stop motion photo comes from the Henry's Fork Lodge owned by Nelson Ishiyama. Nelson and I are college buddies, and he is the editor of Mel Krieger's book, The Essence of Flycasting.

The similarities of this simple stroke upon which you can build is why I use this stroke as the basic casting stroke and not other casting stroke such as Left Kreh's.

Gary likes to have fun when teaching basic casting and he calls his students "casting devils" because they make devil horns when they pantomime the cast.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy