View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: "Classic" models better than "New" models?

Naturally it is true that we anglers, merely assisted by our tackle, do the fishing and that rods and reels we treasured 10, 20, 30 years ago are still fine tackle today; further imbued with recollections of great moments past. I too, upon occasion, continue to fish Orvis, Scott, Sage rods from as early in my life as a fly fisher as the late 1970's. There is very little doubt in my mind though that my current quiver features superior performance. Are my newest rods more specialized, perhaps yes, but since I really limit myself to sight fishing only (95% of the time) and while trout fishing, surface flies only (99% of the time), my specialization is more habitat-scale driven then technique driven. I do enjoy rods with differing personalities though and might chose a different rod of the same designation while wading than when drifting but that is personal style while distance and durability in boats might be a factor. Further, I favor crisply communicative, fast recovering tipped rods for dry fly presentation rather than the popular more mid-flexing, slower responding variety, so Sage ONE is, for me, a dry fly specialty scalpel of consummate responsiveness as its progenitor, RPL was a knife and few rods are more sensitive now than Hardy Zeniths are or as Scott Pow-R-Plys seemed 35 years ago.

Someday these too will be yesterdays models and I may update them. By then they will be imbued with rich memories.