View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: July trip to New Mexico & Colorado

Wow, I will be taking much same trip at the same time. This will be my third year in a row for this trip.

Cimarron River: Make reservations now if you want in for Tolby campground in Cimarron State Park. Get license, flies, guide, and advice from Dos Amigos Anglers fly shop in Eagle Nest, N.M. on hwy 64, 3 miles from Tolby campground. Don't waste time fishing Eagle Nest lake unless you have boat. I fish the Dos Amigos Cimarron Special fly mostly dropped off an attractor fly. Get details from fly shop for hatches and flies. Take the wife to top of Bobcat Pass for Cowboy Evening with hosts Sue & Henry. We go every year. Try to go when Syd Masters is playing, but all shows are good. Recommend their other activities also.
Bobcat Pass Wilderness Adventures Fly Fishing New Mexico's Cimarron River
Dos Amigos Anglers Orvis Fly Shop & Guide Service in Taos & Eagle Nest, New Mexico

Valle Vidal Unit: Rio Castilla, get info from Dos Amigos. Take everything in with you (food,water, etc.) long, long way from town. Most beautiful place to camp on your trip. This area does not open until 1 July to allow for Elk calving to complete. Keep food stored away because of bears. No threat to you, just the food.

Red River: Red River, N.M., over Bobcat Pass from Eagle Nest, N.M. Details from Dos Amigos again. I bypass this river and just fish the Cimarron.

Conejos River: I bypass Conejos River Anglers fly shop and continue west to Fox Creek Store and get last minute supplies (food, water, flies, license, NF maps, etc.), from guide Jeremy Smith and his sister Eschle. Super people. You tube Fox Creek and Jeremy to get your blood pumped up. Jeremy can guide you or freely tell you more places to fish than you have time for. Fox Creek Store

San Juan River: This is where I change directions from your trip. Maybe one of the top 10 tailwaters to fish in America. This is also a N.M. state park. Cottonwood campground is on the river but the mosquitos are in full force. No showers. Camp above the dam in one of the state park campgrounds without the mass of mosquitos and comes with a shower in one of the camps. Any of the camps you stay in still allows you to go shower at the camp with showers. New Mexico - State Parks Division make reservations now for Cimarron and San Juan if needed. Fishheads Lodge for guide and info is my choice but many others available.

We very well may cross paths. I'm starting off on the San Juan on July 6 and returning home middle of August. I rent a condo in Angel Fire, N.M. and make camping trips from there. Come back to condo for down time and daily fishing the Cimarron. Good luck and I know ya'll will have a blast.

Last edited by osok; 04-09-2013 at 09:10 AM.