View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help choosing the right rod.

nicknorm: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. As Dorian pointed out an 8 wt will work, but the issue is that the fishing pole will be so stiff there will be little or no bend in the rod when you have a trout on. A lighter rod 4 to 6 wt would be better suited for your purpose. Also, I hope you are not planning a fishing trip to the San Juan by yourself, you will be very disappointed. That is a tailwater and the fishing can be fantastic, but is rather technical. I would highly recommend you hire a guide for a day to see how he fishes that river and how he rigs the leader and tippet. The river gets some fairly heavy fishing pressure and the fish get rather picky at normal sized flies. I have fished the river a number of times and the guides all use size 24/26 flies on 7x tippet.

Larry