View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newbie gear question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVealey View Post
Hello forum. I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for a few years and now I'm getting serious. I picked up a couple of nice rods and reels from someone getting out of the sport but my question is about the gear you carry. What's the basic I need in my gear bag? I have a couple of spools of different sized tippet, a hemostat, a spare leader (age unknown) and clippers. What else should I be carrying to get me started?
If you're starting out then keep it simple. I would add dry fly floatant and line cleaner to the gear you have and you will be good. Throw dry and wet flys and figure out how to use the gear you have first. It's like shooting; get familiar with your gear, how to hang it, and arranged in your personal work space, second nature, etc. Later on read up on nymphing, droppers, etc and then go buy what you need.

I have split shot, indicators, and some other gear I don't use but got because, well I thought I would need it. Start simple and adapt to your fishing environment. Sf

Oh yeah, get some flies.