Thread: Chasing Reds
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM

pete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura aboutpete a has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Chasing Reds

We chase reds down here on the Gulf coast. Almost all year they can be found in very skinny water, even in very cold water.

They seem far more tolerant to water temp than many fish. However they can be darn hard to see on overcast and very windy days. Bright sunny days can be fantastic, however the easier you can see them they can see you.

Tidal movement is a very important factor. I love a strong falling tide with strong rising tide second. No tidal movement is often a waste of time. A strong falling tide with max movement at 8-9AM should be superbe.

They patrol the weed edges for food flushing from the grass. I seldom see the classic tail sticking up. More often it is weeds moving, V-wakes, shrimp/smaller bait fish jumping. They are constantly on the move so if they aren't there now they could be through anytime. Patience.

Below is a pick of my youngest with a red from 1.5' of water with water & air temp in the 50's from east of New Orleans.

Pete A.

Click the image to open in full size.