View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Looking for a kayak

I fish the marshes on the Texas upper and mid coast from a kayak. I started five years ago with a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and a couple of years later went to a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 16. Nothing specific wrong with Trident except I wanted a faster yak. The Trident is 31" wide and the Tarpon 28". Does not sound like much but it does make a big difference in speed. Possibly the hull design may make a difference. Width between my two yak's means the Trident is more stable, but that really only makes a difference to me when just learning to yak. After a turtle or two you learn what center of gravity means. In open water with winds both are stable but the Tarpon slices the waves better to maintain speed.

The Trident 13 length is better suited for the marshes, as I sometimes need to back out a ways before I can turn around. 2-3 feet can be huge far back in the marsh trying to get to a back lake. You will be going where no one but an air boat can go.

Having said all that I do use my Tarpon as primary yak due to long distances in open water I paddle at times to get to some prime marshes that as I said you otherwise can only get into with an air boat. I think I see more Tarpons in my area that any other brand. Most all brands are represented.

If I was today to purchase a new yak I would get the Tarpon 14 because I would still get the speed and get a shorter length. Another thing I had to learn due to getting so far back into the marshes was while fishing my way in to also pay attention to were I made turns so I could get back out without taking several deadends. That can get your attention when the tide is ripping out and you could get stranded for several hours high and dry on a mud flat. Has not happen yet but I've read and heard many stories of longer day trips than planned with not an increase in fishing time. You then just lay back and take a long nap.

This website is very popular here and very well can provide you tons of info. TexasKayakFisherman.com • Index page