View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2013 Swap #3 : Clouser Style Flys

The air temp was 85* yesterday. I sat at work imagining how the watershed was exploding with hungry fish. It stayed warm through the night and I was excited to get out this morning and test out the Clousers from the swap. I got to the water at 9:00, 62*, no wind and overcast. The action was steady for about 90 minutes until the sun came out and ruined it for me. I didn't get through all of them, but the ones I fished did well. My stick of choice for these flies was a 9' 6Wt, here's how they did:

8 mcnerney-Red Foxee Clouser
Heavy lead eyes, this one sank like a brick and got blasted on the way down on the very first cast.
Click the image to open in full size.

2 sumojo- own creation
This one worried me. Well tied but my first impression was that hook shank was too short. I was anticipating a few missed strikes but it proved me wrong, hooking up on the first bite.

1 theboz- Antron Beast-RECIEVED
Awesome tie, the antron was pretty thick and it suspended the fly just below the surface. After two misses it landed a nice Crappie

7 Pocono- Shad Clouser-
I thought the size on this was sure to stir up some scrappy Bluegills but I was wrong, she landed me this nice Crappie

9 Rip Tide-Borski Slider
Rip's Slider didn't disappoint either

14 stenacron-Black Nosed Dace Clouser
Other fish on the first cast was Stenacron's synthetic

13 wtbash-Yellow and Black Clouser
This one worried me too. A perfect SM Clouser but I thought the hook might be too big for Crappie. I was wrong again

10 FrankB2-char/white gold flash Clouser
Frank's fly earned "high hook" for the day landing me this brute of a Crappie. I landed 3 on this one before I swapped it out

6 baseman1- Blue/Green Clouser
Baseman1 I'm sorry to say that a nasty Pickerel crushed your fly and eventually took it away

A weary bunch,but they seem to be smiling
I'm sorry I didn't get everyone's flies in the water today, once the sun came up the water was crystal clear and the fish scattered. I will fish the rest as soon as I can.

This was also the new pup's first fishing trip

Last edited by swirlchaser; 04-20-2013 at 07:02 AM.