Thread: Saltwater reel
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 01:50 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saltwater reel

My philosophy on SW reels is that I don't want to immediately have to rinse them after fishing.

More important, I don't want to have to submerge them in detergent filled hot water and spend 1/2 an hour getting salt out of the unsealed but completely inaccessible drag- and washing out all lubrication in the process. I have 2 reels like this, a Ross BG 5 and a Colton CG11. Both were early model reels and the problems have probably been eliminated by now on newer models.

So the drags, I think, should be either easily accessible, or "Completely Waterproof"/ "Hermetically Sealed".

If they are easily accessible, they should have solid (un-ported) spools on the frame side, and an un-ported frame. This will keep most all the salt water out of the cavity containing the drag, spindle and spindle bearings, short of a prolonged dunking. The reels I've had trouble with noted above both had ported frames and ported spools on both cheeks. To get their drags apart is nearly impossible and fraught with pitfalls and ball bearing falls (then rolls).

I don't know which reels have truly good "Completely Waterproof" drags beyond Makos and the Nautilus's CCF and NV. Those are top dollar reels and very rarely come up used - especially the Makos and Nautilus NV's.

There are a lot of good draw bar reels to chose from as Chuck noted in his post. As with all reels, the drag should be backed off with no pressure on the disc/discs when not actually fishing with them or doing maintenence on them.

Cheers,
Jim