View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Clouser Minnow for trout

I don't fish for trout much, but wouldn't hesitate to use a Clouser. Colors would be as suggested to imitate the local forage. However, I'm very selective about the materials I use, particularly for smaller size flies.

Wannafish, the only improvement I can advise on is to use finer textured bucktail. Otherwise you're doing a great job with those.

Don't over look other materials either, such as fox tail. Clousers Foxee series are excellent, and are a great choice for small sizes.

Another option is ostrich herl, which ties an excellent small fly. I like it in black as a leech in the Clouser style. This fly is about 3 inches long. Ostrich can be used sparsely, but IMO, a leech pattern with ostrich herl needs to be tied full, otherwise it slims down in the water way too much, unlike hair.

Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 04-10-2013 at 10:14 PM.