View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Ok then, ........ A used Medalist.................. (pulling up old history)

For just 4$ I decided to take a risk on this one. Its a 1495 and if I did my research right, I think its from 1939.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

I haven't attempted to clean it up yet, and was wondering if I should just start with a vinegar / water bath. Any other idea's would be welcome. The drag plate is frozen right now, so I'm going to have to work that free.

I can already see that I'll need to replace a few parts, one is the brake adjustment screw which I plan to order from One-Pfoot. it's also missing the round line guard (what a bummer!), but has both pins to hold it on place. It looks like One-Pfoot only makes them for the 1494. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? If not, I'm going to see what I might be able to accomplish, with one of these metal rings I picked up at the hardware store.

Click the image to open in full size.

In the worst case scenario, I'll just remove what remains of the two pins, and leave the frames line guard open. But I'm really hoping to eventually find the correct round line guard, and one day back get one back in place.

For all the corrosion on the reel body, I feel that I got lucky with the handle, it spins freely.

I'm hoping to be able to restore this one enough, that I will be able to fish it this spring.

So far this is the oldest medalist in my collection. It took me a couple years to find one this old, at a price I was willing to pay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 (the spring is still good too, just needed to be stretched out a little).

With the screw part that was to sent me, and now that I got the pin working, I was able to salvage this reel into a fisher. I did end up repainting the frame with some very light coats, but thought it looked too new and weird. Before the paint was fully dry, I started buffing it out pretty aggressively with a pencil eraser and a paper towel, I ultimately lucked into a pretty attractive finish. I just took these pics a few minutes ago. This is the same "Junk" reel that is in the earlier posts. The only non-original components that did not come in the original purchase are the fresh coat of paint, and the P-Foot screw Ron sent me.

I tried to purposely put some wear back into the finish.

Here is the medalist all dissembled.

And now assembled

Now the only thing I'm missing is the line guide, the two pins that hold the ring in place are still on the reel. I cant wait to get it out fishing!

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

The discerning, will notice that in my last pic the adjustment drag screw is not flush........When I took the pic, I still needed to set the pin.

I've already caught some fish on this reel.