View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a club at my University!

Congratulations on your new endeavors. It sounds like you're on the right track by having TU and local fly shops involved.

My first thought is why go out of state when there are plenty of great options for fly fishing somewhere in Michigan?

As for events, tying classes/informal sessions, casting clinics and trips are all great ideas. Maybe have some folks come in and give a presentation about hatches, streams/rivers, in Michigan, species of fish to target. Perhaps someone from the DNR can come in and provide a presentation on conservation.

Fundraisers...why not use the tying sessions and sell some of the flies? Perhaps you could get a deal on some cheap boxes and put X number of flies in them. You might remember the Orvis add, 10 flies for $9.99? Not saying you have to go that cheap, but just a thought.

Car washes when the weather breaks might get you some money, I did lots of them and they were generally very successful. Maybe having T Shirts made up?

Not sure how to go about starting a club like this, I'll let the resident experts chime in on that I think we had one or two members start a club, you might consider using the search feature to find some previous posts and send a PM to those individuals.

Again, congratulations best of luck with your club and enjoy life in Ann Arbor!