View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Eat that fish, or release it?

No crappie, no bluegills and no bass in my region. Only brook trout, landlocked salmon, walleye, pike etc.

Here, it's another story. Most of the lakes in my region have too many brook trout. Catching and keeping the smaller brook trout actually helps the brook trout population in these lakes and that is what I do most of the time. The limit for brook trout is 20 of any size. I release any brook trout over 15 inches long except in lakes that are becoming less accessible to fishermen who do not own a cottage on these lakes. There is no pollution in my region either so eating fish is healthy. One place I fish is called Lac St-Jean. In this body of water, the biologists have decided to increase the walleye limit to 10 fish with no size limit. This is being done in order to increase the landlocked salmon population. In the rest of the region, walleye limit is 6 fish between 27 and 42 cm long. A stupid slot limit when I know that people just love to catch and keep large walleye for the bragging rights. Would you release a record size walleye?

The limit for pike in my region is 10 pike of any size.

So....sure....I eat lots of fish. I go fishing often but I don't hoard fish. I like to eat my fish as fresh as possible. What does go into the freezer does not stay there very long.