View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is wrong with my roll cast?

My thought is that Mel is using a fiberglass rod. By necessity, the rod stroke with a more flexible rod has to be more convex with longer stroke path than a stiffer graphite fly rod. A caster has to accelerate more slowly with a more flexible fiberglass fly rod, so to achieve same line velocity, the stroke path must be longer.

Here are more modern videos.

The Roll Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb View Post
Mastering the Roll Cast with Mel Krieger - YouTube

Who am I to criticise a master? - but the roll cast shown in the Mel Krieger video is ghastly! Far too much body effort going into the forward cast and dropping way too far forward. Actually Iím totally amazed he is doing this. I thought it must be a wind up at first!?

ANyway, things have moved on ..... I suggest more modern videos!

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy