View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 10:44 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Most Martins I purchase, have loose handles........ Never disclosed in the sale.... In the near future I'll provide easy to follow steps to provide a solution to this problem any idiot can follow........ If you got a shop vice and a hammer, once i provide pics, this will be a very easy repair step for any fly reel.

I'm sure many of you guys have purchased 2nd hand reels with this problem.........With a simple explanation, this is a quick five minute fix, just about any one could easily accomplish.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

My jig is simple...

First thing you need is a stiff piece of metal.... I purchased a punch set from harbor and freight. Any old nail would probably do the same trick.

Click the image to open in full size.

Some reels do not have a opposing hole to the handle, another simple fix...... (I just drill one). Loose handles are common problems in vintage reels, this causes sneaky people to pass them off. This problem can easily be tackled with common household tools.

The next thing you need is a shop vice, mine came with the 2nd hand house.

Position the pin, in the vice, and give a few reel love taps with the hammer

Click the image to open in full size.

It seems complicated, but its just simple physics..... This is the same way these handles were applied at the factory....... I can't even tell you how many reels I repaired using this same method.

If any one has any questions, feel free to ask.

Ive read reports of people using jb-weld, and epoxy.... Sometimes the simplest right way to fix things, is also the best!

I hope at least one person reading this, will benefit! Just last night I repaired three of my loose handled reels in about 10 minutes.

Last edited by charged; 04-12-2013 at 11:05 PM.