View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 09:21 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spey course this weekend...

Sorry for the delay in this update.

Basically, I survived the spey day....hah.

Course started with an hour or so in class talk. And while there was lots of good things talked about, 2 of the first things the instructer said:

1) Don't start spey casting with a switch rod....casting is similar but best to have at least the basics with a 'real' spey (my words) before getting a switch. Oops, strike one for me....that is what I bought to start.

2) IF you are deciding to spey cast....take a lesson and learn correctly. DON'T watch videos or read books...learn first hand. STTTEEERIIIKE 2 for me....this one I blame on my wife though.

Hit the river. We were using 13 foot G. Loomis rods with Skagit lines. After some discussions and demonstrations, we started with roll casting....then it was into the river for the 6 of us.

Me, doing not to bad with Rolls. Respectable. We were told to work off both sides....which I did. As i was working off my left side....I hear the yell from downstream where the instructor was working with another....."HEY, NO KACK HANDS!!!" STEEEERIIIIKEEE THREE!

Apparently, I missed the thought line about being able to change hand positions...and because of my single handed tendancies, I simply did what I know....and not what was the intention. Didn't know that was called "Kack Handing" though...hah.

Worked through Roll, Double Spey (both sides, no kack hands) and Snap T (both hands). Ended the on water with being allowed to shoot line. Did find that all and really hit it well. I was shooting tons and when i got it right, it was incredibly effortless. Though I had only been working with the switch a short time, I had ALREADY got bad habits however....I wasn't lifting into forming the D...but swooping down (that's what the videos seemed to be showing....ugh).

Got some homework to practice, dryland, forming the D and will do that as soon as it stops freaking raining....apparently I am a fair weather fly cast practicer...hah.

Small plug here.

The instructors name is Rick Whorwood.....who makes his home in Southern Ontario. While an Ontario-ian...he travels to teach and give seminars on various topics. He was very knowledgeable and most of all, patient (for a dumb-ass like me, he had to be). If you are able to take a session from him, I'd make an effort to do so. I believe he has a web site...so check him out but he did provide all in the course, his email which is...whorwood@cogeco.ca.

Again....was time well spent....and from the look of it outside, its stopped raining....and I've got homework to do.

King Joe, Outa Here!