View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM

wallym3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

I see that since joining I have contributed but 4 posts. I haven't been much of a Forum visitor nor poster anywhere in some time.

I've scrolled this thread, stopping at items of particular interest, with much enjoyment. As a half-baked, self-taught machinist, I can't help but being drawn in by reels. In scrolling the entirety of the thread I have discovered much new and have been reminded of much forgotten, and have spent someworthwhile time at it. Unless contained in some of the deleted photos, I thought I might add my poor kin to this effort material that has not been previously mentioned.

The first is, of course, a Bogdan, one of quite a number that have passed through my hands (some stuck to them) over the years. "There are many like it, but this one is" special to me. Stan handed it to me over lunch here in SW Vermont one day a couple of years ago. The event was witnessed by Bob Warren (who had something to do with the speed of delivery) and Bob Hilliard, so as you can imagine, it was a most entertaining and companionable meal. The reel is a 150 RHW and already has Miramichi fish to its credit.

Click the image to open in full size.

One note: the weight of the bag is significantly heavier than the ones he used earlier on.

This second is a no name, completely without markings. I suspect it was crafted by some talented amateur. I have a mind to copy it for its "old time" grace. The plates are aluminum.

It's almost too light to be practical, though sturdy enough.

This final submission has yet to see water, nor has any other of its model since this is a prototype Kineya 705 (L). The "L" is my designation. It is a lightened version of Mas's 705. The notion of lightening this 4" diameter reel had been on Mas's mind (along with several other creative musings) and the commitment was forged at the last Catskill Rod Makers Gathering with delivery a few short weeks later.

The rims are polished stainless steel. That smoky, patinated look of NS is a proprietary process that he's developed (and will not reveal, no matter how much beer lubricates the interrogation).

Here's part of the lightening:

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Click the image to open in full size.

A little OT, but of interest are a pair of hair stackers he made using the same metal treatment.

Anyway, I hope this adds something to an entirely enjoyable and educational (for me, at least) thread.

Wally.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

And at the risk of wearing out my bandwidth privileges, Folks might be interested in this early Mohlin reel.

Here it is taken down (it had a stripped thread) next to a set of trammels I made for measuring distance between holes in reel work.

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

And at the risk of being totally excoriated, I post this pic of an ensemble that I had done for me by several uniquely skilled craftsmen over a period of some years. The reel is a Marriott reel accompanied by matching conceits. I rarely see Marriotts any more, even on ebay. I wish I had gotten more as they were smooth, sweet sounding reels.

Last edited by wallym3; 04-13-2013 at 08:54 PM.