View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: alternate fly tying materials

I went to the Hobby Store today, looking for something in the Yarn Department that was both Yellow/Gold and or a light Brown to Dark Brown color. This was to stuff into some EZ BODY / FLEX TUBE to create a Baby Brown Trout imitation. I made several interesting discoveries.

There is one product that many of you probably have already taken advantage of in Yarns. I think I've seen where another member mentioned this stuff on a couple of occastions.
It is called "Gilt Eyelash" and it comes in Light Gold, Silver, Blue, Green, Red, Pink and Black and Gold etc. It is made by the Yarn Bee brand. It has possibilibities of course in sort of a Wooly Bugger fasion.

Because I was looking for Yellow/Brown combinations, something on a shelf not far from the Yarns caught my attention. It is called
"Gold Curly Roving". Roving is not Yarn per se I guess. It blends up real nice for a Dubbing.

Another Yarn of Interest which caught my attention, and which also blends for a partularly nice Reddish--Brown Dubbing is a Yarn named
"Thick & Quick" in the color #408 "Wild Fire"

In addition, I got a Yellow Goldish Yarn in the color "Morning Glow" made by Yarn Bee, who also makes the "Gilt Eyelash".

Generally though, I prefer to check all yarns to see if it is synthetic like Acrylic.
That's my preferred yarn. For one thing, it is always about half the cost of other yarn products.
Acrylic is synthetic, and not affected by moisture.

Last edited by brucerducer; 05-02-2013 at 04:33 AM.