View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Reel Cleaning Pics/tutorial?

Hi,

I'm sure you'll get some advice on this, however I do very little of it. Also many of the new disc drag reels have a 'sealed drag' and require little maintenance there. The best tip I can offer as to why I do so little cleaning & greasing is that I keep the reels out of the sand and dirt. Another helpful habit is to avoid dunking a reel into the water. I know that many marketing photos show the rod butt & reel in the water beside a fish but I don't go there.

You'll find that if you keep them clean & dry while you're using them the lube on the spool shaft, bearings, drags, and etc. will last a very long time. If you find that somehow you have picked up some sand or other foreign material inside the reels workings; most notably you will hear or feel it, remove the spool and dunk the frame to rinse the offending matter from the reel body. if you run into this scenario then you may want to lube the shaft when the day is done.

If you have spring & pawl reels a dab of marine grade grease on the pawls and shaft will keep them running smooth for years. If you don't have marine grease, any type will be better than none.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;