View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default The fish and the flies,,,,,GAR

OK, our state (AR) all tackle rec. for the Alligator gar is 240lbs and I have seen 4-6 footers in my lake while bass fishing, the other state records run from 36.5 lbs for the longnose and 6.12 for the shortnose and 11.12 for the spotted. Now picture your out in your boat on a hot summer afternoon and throwing bass bugs to the cover, you look over and see a 5foot fish laying just under the surface, turn and pick up your back up rod throw a cast just past his nose and ease the fly in front of him and he rolls on it, you pull tight and all hell breaks loose. Think about landing a 100-200 lb fish on fly tackle(could happpen in alot of southern states). The flies for gar are a little diffrent in that they have no hook, I ty them out of nylon rope(the white stringers wealmart sells) the teeth of the gar get tangled in the fly and thats how you lamnnd it, before I was told this, I fished flies with hooks, maybe landed one out of 25 their mouth is just to boney for a hook to get a good hold. The next time you bored on a hot summer afternoon, give it a try, I think you'll like it.
Bear
The hooks are still in these to take the photo I will cut them off up past the bend before I fish them a BIG mean fish with lots of sharp teeth and a hook flying around is the last thing you want
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1720.jpg (77.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1725.jpg (77.8 KB, 149 views)