View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: do you know what this is ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker19 View Post

I've shown those same pictures to several folks at the local fly shop and they said the first one was a caddis (they also showed me how to tie a few!) I have not used the caddis patterns yet but I have used a griffins knat as a substitute with very good results. Strangely I have not seen any fishing rising to the mayfly.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

I just searched the alderfly and I don't believe it's that. The alderfly almost looks like a stonefly, just shorter and more broad. Plus it seems thier eyes are not that large
That's why I was asking if these came from a warmwater river (or even a lake/pond). I have never seen a trout stream (coldwater) dwelling caddisfly with giant bugeyes like that. In that first picture, if that is the abdomen (hidden behind the underwing) with a long stinger-like (although probably a sex organ) appendage protruding... Then I'm pretty sure that it is not a caddisfly.

Likewise with fly #2... 100% positive that it's a freshly hatched dun... 100% positive that it's a female... about 75% sure that it's a Stenacron (although the barring in the wings is more extensive than I'm used to seeing)... 0% sure on interpunctatum (just my best guess).

My amateur entomology only extends as far as I need for fly-fishing in cold rivers and streams though... so if these insects came from warmwater, all bets are off.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring