View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any casting differences between WF and DT lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas
I tested identical 4 WT outfits at Orvis Day - one w/ DT the other WF; to my surprise I casted better & further w/ DT even on a windy day!!!
Double tapers that are somewhat compatable with a rod are able to be fine tuned by the caster by varying the amount of line out the tip. This goes from harder, all the way to impossible to do with WF lines - especially those with very short heads.

If a short head is way too light for the rod, I generally cannot overhang more than half the head length and maintain good control of the loop. But I may not be able to get enough bend in the rod at that lighter weight to get a reasonable distance out of it.

If the head is too heavy, I can't cast only 3/4 of the head because the remaining inertia of that part of the head inside the tip causes a premature turnover and a tuck cast. So I am forced to push the rod to mushyness in order to cast the head "too heavy" for the rod. Casting that way is not a lot of fun to me.

Long belly WF lines are more like DT lines in the "tuning" respect and can be cast without the entire head out of the tip, but probabl6y require more experience than shorter heads properly tuned to both the rod and the caster using it.

So what I'm saying is that you were "fine tuning" the DT line to both the rod and your casting stroke and "comfort zone".

But don't take that one example as universal truth and wind up handicapping yourself for the rest of your life. There are situations for short WF tapers , long WF tapers, and DT lines. It just takes some fiddling with different ones to figure it out.

Ard,

I remember starting with an HCH then fairly quickly (once I read about them) moving to a GBF "Bug Taper" for throwing poppers to bass. It was way too much line for the old South Bend rod, but I could get the poppers out there fine with it. The "Rocket" Taper was the other one on the market then.