Thread: Tippett rings
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM

planettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant futureplanettrout has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tippett rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't see your point.
I used hand tied leader with a loop2loop leader/tippet connection for well over 20 years, so the use of tippet rings makes no sense to me.
How do you save $$$ by buying something that you don't need ?
I repeat... What practical purpose do they serve ?
Many people DO NOT use knotted or furled leaders and there are those who do not use a loop to loop connection for attaching tippet. The use of a tippet rings precludes having to snip off a section of the leader each time tippet needs to be added - hence, adding to the usefulness of the same leader and extending the period that it may be employed...

If someone prefers knotted leaders and loop to loop connections, then a tippet ring makes no sense. The last time I used a knotted leader was in 1975 when I purchased a few at Dan Bailey's Shop in Livingston...they were not my cup of tea for the nymphing and streamer fishing I do here in the Sierras with sink tip and full sink lines. From time to time, I will use a furled leader for fishing dries... and those have tippet rings on them,

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/