Thread: Tippett rings
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:39 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tippett rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't see your point.
I used hand tied leader with a loop2loop leader/tippet connection for well over 20 years, so the use of tippet rings makes no sense to me.
How do you save $$$ by buying something that you don't need ?
I repeat... What practical purpose do they serve ?
Many people DO NOT use knotted or furled leaders and there are those who do not use a loop to loop connection for attaching tippet. The use of a tippet rings precludes having to snip off a section of the leader each time tippet needs to be added - hence, adding to the usefulness of the same leader and extending the period that it may be employed...

If someone prefers knotted leaders and loop to loop connections, then a tippet ring makes no sense. The last time I used a knotted leader was in 1975 when I purchased a few at Dan Bailey's Shop in Livingston...they were not my cup of tea for the nymphing and streamer fishing I do here in the Sierras with sink tip and full sink lines. From time to time, I will use a furled leader for fishing dries... and those have tippet rings on them,

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/