Thread: fly rod help
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly rod help

You can tell what weight rod it is by using the "Common Cents" method that was in Rod Maker magazine a few years ago. It works by hanging a bag off the end and trapping the handle down to a flat surface. With the entire rod past the handle parallel to the floor add pennies to the bag till you get the rod bent one third of the length. e.g. 9 foot rod bent 3 feet. the number of pennies it takes tells you what the weight is. If you want I can give you more detailed directions. As for the top, show us a picture and I will tell you if we can get a matching top (last guide). I have access to some pretty good parts places and can get or lead you to an exact match more than likely. Tops are cheap and pennies are reusable. You should be able to be back in business for under five bucks. I'm sure the rod is worth at least that.