View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 AM

petee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to allpetee is a name known to all
Default Re: TFO Custom Rod Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
The really interesting thing here is that I've listened to two separate Itinerant Angler podcasts (several years apart) on which Rick Pope is emphatic that TFO does not want to enter the high end market--that they are committed to making only affordable, but high quality, fly rods.

I wonder what changed?

I also wonder if it is a good idea. If TFO starts trying to keep up with the Joneses, so to speak, do they stay the same business? At this point, a TFO rod, no matter what model, is pretty much guaranteed to be high on the bang-for-your-buck scale. Is that going to stay true after they start selling ~$550 rods?

Time will tell, I suppose...
With some rods going for close to $1000.00 maybe $550.00 isn't considered "High End" anymore . I wouldn't expect them to get enough custom work to justify letting the rest of the business change.
"Blessed is the fly fisher who's quiver contains grass, glass & graphite custom rods." Book of Rods 3:16