View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM

n1ksn is on a distinguished road
Default How fast is Winston VSL?

I need a 7'6" 5 weight rod to fish the streams and small rivers in central Wisconsin. I want a 5 weight because that's what I'm used to. I want a short rod due to the overhangs and brush in many of these waters. I prefer a double taper line with a shortish front taper (5 to 6 feet).

I don't want the rod to be real fast, more a medium fast. I've seen that Winston has a 7' 6" 5wt in the VSL series, as does TFO in the Professional II series. There is also a St Croix Rio Santo with that length and weight.

The Winston would be a big step up in rod quality for me, but it is listed as "fast." However, I'm given to understand that a Winston "fast" may not be the same as a Sage "fast." Would the Winston be a decent choice for a somewhat relaxed casting stroke? How about the TFO Pro II and the Rio Santo (which is listed as moderately fast)?

One other possibility is the TFO Finesse 7'9" 5 weight. I've seen many reviews of the 3wt in that length, but not the 5wt. Anyone have the 5wt, and if so how do you like it?

Anyone have experience with any of these rods?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by n1ksn; 04-18-2013 at 09:54 PM.