View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Juan In August

Kyle: First off thank you for your service! If you haven't fished the SJ before, this will be a tough indocturnation, maybe think about getting a guide for a half day to show you the ropes. Those fish get pressured all year, but especially in the summer and feed primarily on midges. The summer months are always going to be the toughest due to the crowds, if you can hold off I'd recommend going in late Sept-Nov after the summer crowds have gone home (even then I wouldn't go on a weekend). As an alternate approach, if you have to go while the summer crowds are there, I'd go real early, be there on the water before sun up so that you can get in the water at first light. The crowds won't show until about 8 am with all the guides. I'd use your 5 wt rod with a floating line, a 9 ft 5x leader and 6x fluor tippet. For flies you are primarily are going to be using either very small baetis or midges in size 22-26. Flies like WD-40, RS-2, sparkle wing RS-2, craven's juju baetis, dorsey's mercury midge, blood midge, black beauty, Garcis's rojo midge. If you use an indicator get the smallest one you can find, maybe that white foam fold over pinch on stuff or try a dry/dropper rig. The flows there are not real fast so you won't need a lot of weight to sink the flies. In the meantime, google the san juan river forum and spend sometime reading and asking questions. There is a campground right on the river and a few up on the reservoir, you might think about getting there in the afternoon so you can explore different access points and maybe fishing late afternoon as the crowds are getting off the river to hit happy hour or dinner, then you will have a better idea for hitting the water at first light. Also get yourself a really good pair of polarized sunglasses, this is a perfect river to sight cast to fish rather than blind casting.