Thread: Hello from KY
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM

jor fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello from KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by higginsb4 View Post
Hello:

I am taking a trip to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky next week, anyone know of any good spots? or flies to throw?

Thanks

Try the east fork of Indian Creek and swift Camp Creek. Right now there should be some Caddis and Yellow Stone activity, as well as a few localized mayfly hatches. Elk Hair caddis is sure to be a winner. Size 12 stimulator is good if you see any Stone flies hidiing around on some of the trees stream side. Also, try an adams to see what happens. For nymphs, you can't go wrong with a prince nymph. Copper Johns are also deadly. If they are not hitting any of those, use a black and orange or olive wooley bugger. I've found the stocked trout in that stream will hit a bugger stripped in at a medium pace when they wont hit anything else.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Streamhound,

Don't be too discouraged. I'm a Kentuckian also and I've found that warm water fly fishing can be as fun as cold water. (Gills on the fly are a blast!) Further, check out the KY fish and game website. There are several streams in our state that are stocked and tend to have fair populations of holdover Rainbow and Brown Trout. Rock creek, Swift Camp creek, and Laurel creek being among these. Don't forget about some of the tailwaters here that also get attention. The Paintsville Lake tail waters are always a nice spot to check out, if not a little aggravating to access.