View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: The newest member of the family...

I was a regular Herters customer in my youth. I bought a Green River Knife (like the mountain men used in trade), all my chamois shirts that I wore in camp and my first fly tying kit...a Thompson A and assorted tools and materials. I was too young to read George's book on "How to Train your Wife" but I might have learned something. I did have an outdoor cook book of his though. The catalog was as thick as a phone book I recall and full of wisdom. Congratulations on your new/old rod.

I saw an ex-wife this morning who had come upon a thick cardboard tube of old rods of mine including a 2-pc. glass rod with spigot ferrule I had built on a Phillipson blank and a Frankenstein one piece rod in which I had epoxied a graphite tip of a 2-pc. rod into the slightly larger diameter of the butt half of an Orvis brown glass rod old enough to have Orvis written on it by hand. 1/2 glass 1/2 graphite and it fells pretty good too. George Herter would have been proud of me.