View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: The newest member of the family...

I was a regular Herters customer in my youth. I bought a Green River Knife (like the mountain men used in trade), all my chamois shirts that I wore in camp and my first fly tying kit...a Thompson A and assorted tools and materials. I was too young to read George's book on "How to Train your Wife" but I might have learned something. I did have an outdoor cook book of his though. The catalog was as thick as a phone book I recall and full of wisdom. Congratulations on your new/old rod.

I saw an ex-wife this morning who had come upon a thick cardboard tube of old rods of mine including a 2-pc. glass rod with spigot ferrule I had built on a Phillipson blank and a Frankenstein one piece rod in which I had epoxied a graphite tip of a 2-pc. rod into the slightly larger diameter of the butt half of an Orvis brown glass rod old enough to have Orvis written on it by hand. 1/2 glass 1/2 graphite and it fells pretty good too. George Herter would have been proud of me.