Thread: Rod Building?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Building?

It's a heckuva fun "hobby" and I would recommend starting simple i.e. a cheaper blank and moderate components. You don't really need a lot of special tools, but some sort of stand is helpful. Again, I'd say start cheap with this as well and go for the cardboard box with "V" notches because like most hobbies, you will not know what you want with your wrapping stand, etc until you've tried it. I've built a couple different stands now, both on the cheap, but since I just finished my second rod on this latest stand I made I know now how I want it improved...so I guess I'll have to make another one!

Sidetrack: Pete, there is a bamboo builder in town that offers a class from start to finish for I think $1500, all materials included. Does that sound reasonable? I don't have the money for that but how much of that would be the actual cost of building a bamboo rod? Thanks.