View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any casting differences between WF and DT lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcaddis View Post
DT lines should be in every angler's arsenal. For trout, I hardly use anything else. Why, because their are easier to roll cast and heavier to make the occasional 55 foot cast on a trout stream. WF lines are likely cheaper to make because of the thinner running line. But why should I pay as much for line that doesn't cost as much to make? Plus, when I wear out one end of the DT, I can turn it around and have a brand new line. For the person who said they cast better with a DT, even in the wind, I rest my case. For the best angling experience (casting that is) try a DT real silk line. Now you got the denseness in a thinner diameter that really goes.
I guess I don't quite understand a bit of what you said about DT lines. Both DT and WF lines weigh the same until you're out past the head on traditional WF lines. Quite a few modern WF lines have heads that are far longer than the +/- 35' head that was once typical. Even with the longer heads they now carry a long and gradual back taper which allows them to be used quite easily for long roll casts. Some of these new WF lines have heads as long as an entire DT line.
Heavier? That too is covered by the above paragraph.
Are you guessing that the DT cost less to make? Both DT and WF lines have two tapers and along level section. They're just in different places on the line. I'll go further and mention that many WF lines have multiple steps in their tapers in front and back.
The ability to end-for-end the line on a DT is a huge benefit.
A real silk line is indeed a joy to cast. Part of that is because it has the mass of any line in its weight class but a very small diameter much like the running line on a WF.