View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 PM

flyakin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly fishing Pigeon Forge?

If you want to catch brookies, you can start at elkmont campground in the national park and work your way upstream. There is a trail that follows the river at the back of the campground with plenty of parking. Start there and you should run into some brook trout soon. If your into hiking there are numerous streams that you can find plenty of native trout in. I recommend Ian Rudder's book if you want to explore all the fishing options in the national park. Brook trout are in the higher elevation streams, like 2000 ft above sea level and higher for the most part in the Smokies. You should be able to catch them on dry flies as well as nymphs in May. Little river outfitters in Townsend has a daily fishing report on their website with good advice on flies that are producing.

Stealth is important up here and because of the clear water I like 6x or 7x tippet. I tend to fish a dry fly with another 18" of tippet and a nymph starting out to see what they want, but these brook like dry flies pretty good. Adams and elk hair caddis or blue wing olives in the size16 range should be a good place to start. Also, yellows, olives and greys would be good color options I think.