View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 05:51 AM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Met Myself Last Night...

Last night, I sat at my tying desk and merely stared at the vise. Too physically tired and emotionally drained to row right now against life's currents, I decided not to tempt the fates by tying when my heart wasn't into it. And so, I just sat there, content to be in "neutral" while my right hand did its best "absent-minded" slow and repetitive turning of an iced glass containing a wee dram... and I thought, the kind of thinking that goes well beyond the idle and random checklists that we consider, balance and dismiss each day.

I'm well into another volume of the late Montgomery Jackson's observations regarding a much younger me-- I believe that it's Volume V --and early on in the book, I came across a single loose page neatly inserted among its bound mates that contained but two words-- "Take stock..." I can't tell you with any degree of certainty when it was written, though I suspect it was in his last weeks before taking his leave.

It's amazing how big an impact two very small words can have on a man, especially with the grand backdrop of "the journals." The more thought I've given to the phrase, the longer my own personal "bucket list" has grown to be. A grouping of simple things, really, but things that I'd like to do before my days are done.

With that said, in the last five days, the drooping porch roof at "Trail's End" has been shored up to its rightful place, "relief trenches" angled toward the natural drains have been cut into the soil to help release the water around the cabin that built up during the recent "Michigan monsoons," and I visited two of "my kids" from tying classes past-- one at his family's home, and one who's now hospitalized. Then, as darkness fell last night, I "took stock" of my fatigue and just let things be...

Later today, I will "take stock" of things again as we host the current class of "my kids." And, once more, I will be reminded of how truly good "life" can be, if only we pause long enough to take stock...

Jerry, aka hairwing530