View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 PM

manicfishng will become famous soon enoughmanicfishng will become famous soon enough
Default Re: San Juan In August

I'm on the Juan a lot, my man. 30-40 days a year. All of the above comments are right on.

You'll want to use your 5 weight for sure. There are several shops on the river that will have plenty of flies. Whatever you have be sure you have a good selection of RED midges in sizes 20-24. I fish 6X Fluoro most the year if I'm midging. Only go to 7X if you're absolutely sure 6X is still scaring 'em off. Usually 6X fished to hungry fish will have you on fish all day. If you're throwing streamers, fish 0X. No reason to go smaller as if they really want a big meal, the last thing on their mind is the tippet size.

As the administrator stated above, the wading only section of the quality waters is a sight-fisherman's paradise. Look for the big boys that are on the feed to increase your success rate of big fish hook-ups. When you get closer I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Gregg

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

I posted a vid from the Juan from just last week under the "Fishing the U.S." threads in the Rocky Mountain forum. I wasn't sure if I should put it in cold-water fishing or there. Won't re-post it here so that it isn't repetitive but check it out if you have some time.

Gregg