View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hardy and Winston Spey Rods?

HI Ben,

I have a new Hardy Marksman 2 - T. Unfortunately because of the alaskan winter I have not cast it yet. The test will come soon as the weather has taken a turn toward spring. The designation 'T' means that the action of the rod is best suited to longer belly lines. I intend to start with a 55' head that is about 690 grains in that belly I think.

The 'S' series I believe stands for Skagit / Scandi type action but I will not swear to that as a fact. Check their web site for details on the 2 actions. below is copy from a post I made to the "Rod Love" thread located in the fly rods sub forum.

[Copy]
Last fall / early winter I added 2 rods into my salmon / trout collection. I'll post the second in a while but start off with this one.

I chose a 13' Hardy Marksman 2 T in 13' 8 weight and am happy with the way they are making the rods. I haven't been able to fish with it yet but expect to go within a week.

The package starts off with a tube bag over and protecting a nicely finished powder coated rod tube. Inside the tube your rod is of course protected in a well made rod sock.

Click the image to open in full size.

The reel seat is totally different than any of my old rods and the knurled locking rings spin freely on the threaded hardware.

Fit & finish is good quality all around and the only gaps I found in the cork are the 2 at the neat little trim ring on the rear or bottom cork.

In keeping with the traditional way that Hardy does things the rod sections are provided with ferrule plugs for all female ferrules, a nice touch for sure. While ferrule plugs are not really needed they impart a certain old school quality to a good rod.

The reel seat has a good solid and smooth fit and here you see it fit with the reel that I will use with this rod already loaded with a 690 grain 55' head.

I'm ready to get this season going here
[Copy]

I am most eager to try this rod and really expect to do it this coming week. I can come back to this thread and post or will write a review on it.

On the WInston's, I have 2 of their Spey rods but both are almost 14 years old. They make excellent rods and I would have to guess the ones you mention are great. I would call or e-mail to their rod tech people and ask about actions in relationship to the type lines you intend to fish. I use a Rio Mid Spey 65' and a Delta Long 67' on the Winston's.

I figure you'll do well with either one you pick.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;