View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: looking not to break the bank

Peter, welcome to the site! I've been using Okuma Reels for several years & like them very much. Not expensive, good quality for the price & have held up very well. I have a couple of Sierra's & Integrity's. I rarely fish for trout, so the Sierra's get used for panfish on 3 & 4 wt rods, while the Integrity's get used for LM bass, SM bass & Striped bass on 8, 9 & 10 wt rods.

On my 6 wt is a Lamson LP-2 reel that I bought in 1989. This was before they became Waterworks/Lamson. It's no longer made & is still going strong. Lamson reels are generally more expensive than the $100 limit you've set, but if you can find one for that price or under, they're a fine, well made reel.

I use 3 in 1 oil on my fly reels. You really don't need a special oil, and any light reel oil will work. With hard use, I'll clean & oil them 2 or 3 times a year unless they get dunked, then I'll do it more often. I also fish in brackish water quite a bit, so have to be concerned with salt. Have never had a problem with any fly reel in the 47 years I've been fly fishing.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!