View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 01:50 AM

mn steelheader will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hello from very snowy MN

Thanks for the tips guys! I agree Brian, the VPS seems like a great option. Haven't tried one yet (nor the Greys), but I bet it'll make the list of candidates. That 690 RPL just casted beautifully so I'll bet the 590 VPS or RPL will have very similar characteristics. I'll keep an eye our for one around here. Could be a really nice rod for the smaller brookies and browns we have here in SE Minnesota down by the bluff country. By the way, congrats to Aussies on Adam Scott's big win at the Masters.

Scott (there's never enough) mentioned the VXP as well. Not familiar with this model at all. Is this the updated XP from Sage?

Eventually I'll need some reel assistance as well. Anyone want to weigh in on the merits of machined vs. cast? Quite a dizzying amount of options to consider. For a 590 in the $200-$250 range I don't know if I need to get a premium reel that costs more than the rod. Just my opinion but as long as the drag is right, landing smaller fish shouldn't be an issue. However, with an 890 and chasing 10 lb. steel, I might want to consider moving up in class for a little more reliability when it counts. Is this rational thinking on my part?

Feel free to enlighten me with advice from veteran anglers.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Thanks Larry. Good advice. I'm trying out at least 10 rods.