View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 01:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Maryland help requested!

Although I don't do much trout fishing these days, that may be your best bet if you intend to go it alone. If you'll be in Baltimore, the Gunpowder would be the easiest access & closest river. There is a fly fishing only section there too.
There is a couple of fly shops nearby & they can provide some good information. They also have guide services available if you're so inclined to go that route.

Those other rivers are a bit of a drive, but frankly the entire state can be accessed from one end to the other in about 6 hours. From Baltimore or the Washington, DC area you can get to those rivers in a few hours.

For Striper fishing, your best bet would be to hire one of the guides who specialize in fly fishing. Otherwise, the only place I know where you might have some success would be the Susquehanna River below Conowingo Dam. There is shore access along much of Harford County side. (Susquehanna State Park) However, being the river is subject to strong currents from the dam,(hydroelectric) that can be hit or miss with wading, not to mention extremely dangerous at times. That river is also full of very large rocks which makes wading difficult, although not impossible when the conditions are favorable.

Most any place else would require a boat or other watercraft of some type. We don't have a lot of wadeable water as the bottoms here are primarily soft mud, which can be quite deep.

Kent Narrows, which is what separates Kent Island from the rest of the Eastern Shore is another place that can provide shore fishing, but not much in the way of wading. Fly fishing is not impossible, but may not be practical.
US RT 50/301 crosses the Narrows & there is a boat ramp & shore fishing right under the bridge. It's operated by Queen Annes County & requires a permit to launch a boat, or to even park & fish. Last time I purchased the permit it was $25 for the year, but don't know if that has changed.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!